5 Essential Movies Of The 90s
This is a follow-up to my first article
About a week ago, I wrote a list article that showed my 5 favorite films of the 90s that left folks with mixed feelings. Some thought I had made terrible choices, others thought I made the right choices. So, to quiet those who whined about my first list article, I created another list of 90s movies that are definitely classics.
5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) - This was an action-packed saga of the near-future that brilliantly balances a well-told story and cutting-edge visual effects without the effects overpowering the story. One of the great sci-fi/action movies of the decade.
4. Braveheart (1995) - A story of William Wallace's epic fight for freedom for his people, Mel Gibson directs & stars in this drama that is often brutal yet hopeful with some of the best battle sequences captured on film. Once you see it, you can see why it deserved so many awards.
3. Fight Club (1999) - It's hard to explain what the movie is about (I'm speaking from viewing experience) but what you need know about the 3rd directorial effort of David Fincher is it's secret underground fight clubs, airplane disasters & eccentric personalities. Not to mention the great performances of Brad Pitt & Ed Norton.
2. Forrest Gump (1994) - After seeing this in 1994, I was beginning to be interested in some of the true historical events that the title character has encountered over the years. The way Tom Hanks acted in this film & the way Robert Zemeckis directed it, it can't be topped, not even today.
1. Pulp Fiction (1994) - I had to wait until 2002 to see this spectacular ensemble caper and when I did, the film blew me away. Everything about this was awesome, from the cast to the screenplay to the music. Not only is it a 90s classic, I credited this, along with others, for inspiring to pursuit a career in filmmaking.
These films are entertaining, great to watch & it helps you realize that these movies defined a decade, a generation. You look at them today and they're not even close to being dated. That's how good they are.
Log in to comment on or rate this article. You can even write your own!